- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents! Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
- Stay tuned to our COBA Baby Cafe Facebook page to learn about our new Oklahoma City location, check whether any times are affected by weather, and meet our facilitators!
- Congratulations to Chickasaw Nation Medical Center in Ada on receiving the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation! The other six Oklahoma hospitals designated Baby-Friendly are St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City, Integris Health Edmond, Comanche County Memorial Hospital in Lawton, W. W. Hastings Hospital in Tahlequah, INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, and Claremore Indian Hospital. Baby-Friendly USA designates hospitals reliably following the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. Over 15% of babies in Oklahoma are now born in a Baby-Friendly designated hospital. Chickasaw Nation Medical Center brings Oklahoma a big step closer to the national average of 21.71% of babies born in Baby-Friendly hospitals, an important public health metric followed by the Centers for Disease Control.
- The United States Department of Labor recently benefited an Oklahoma family by enforcing the breastfeeding accommodation provision in the Affordable Care Act's amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act. The mother's former employer has had to provide back pay due to intimidation and retaliation, and has agreed to follow the law going forward. To prevent this kind of difficulty, look to COBA for employee guidance on communicating with employers about breastfeeding, and employer guidance on practical ways to comply with breastfeeding laws.
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- Saturday, August 26, 2017, 12:30 to 2:30 pm at Oral Roberts University Christ's Chapel, Tulsa, 2nd Annual Lift Every Baby celebration, celebrating Black Breastfeeding Week. Presented by Innovations PCfit LLC. Co-sponsored by COBA.
- COBA's Fall 2017 General Meeting will be held Saturday, October 21 from 12 to 2 p.m. in Room 5058 of Stephenson Cancer Center at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. The address is 800 NE 10th ST, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73104. Make sure you have officially joined COBA to be on the mailing list for details. Please attend in person, or call in to the meeting if you can structure the time but can't travel!
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
2017 dates at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City are March 29, May 25, August 24, and October 19.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
Save the date:
- Friday, March 2, 2018, Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Sixth Annual Summit, Oklahoma City. Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
- Friday, March 9, 2018, Breastfeeding 2018, Newton, Kansas. Sponsored by La Leche League of Kansas/Oklahoma. Speaker: Nancy Mohrbacher
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 8/20/17/17 by RMP.