- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents! Spread the word!
- COBA is seeking a new Treasurer to support the financial logistics for our Mission! Our current Treasurer will be leaving the position in June to pursue family objectives, and is eager to start the orientation of her successor. Please consider and share this notice about why and how the COBA Treasurer can make a difference for Oklahoma families!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers! You can also contribute to COBA with your Amazon Smile benefits.
- Stay tuned to our COBA Baby Cafe Facebook page to learn about our new Oklahoma City location, check whether any times are affected by weather, and meet our facilitators!
- Congratulations to St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City on receiving the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation! The other five Oklahoma hospitals designated Baby-Friendly are Integris Health Edmond, Comanche County Memorial Hospital, W. W. Hastings Hospital in Tahlequah, INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center and Claremore Indian Hospital. Baby-Friendly USA designates hospitals reliably following the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. Now 13.6% of babies in Oklahoma are now born in a Baby-Friendly designated hospital. St. Anthony brings Oklahoma a big step closer to the national average of 19.25% of babies born in Baby-Friendly hospitals, an important public health metric followed by the Centers for Disease Control.
- The United States Department of Labor recently benefited an Oklahoma family by enforcing the breastfeeding accommodation provision in the Affordable Care Act's amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act. The mother's former employer has had to provide back pay due to intimidation and retaliation, and has agreed to follow the law going forward. To prevent this kind of difficulty, look to COBA for employee guidance on communicating with employers about breastfeeding, and employer guidance on practical ways to comply with breastfeeding laws.
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- COBA's very first Yard Sale is set for May 20-21 in Oklahoma City! Stay tuned to our Facebook page and emails to members for details, and email email@example.com with questions or offers to donate items!
- COBA's 2017 General Meetings will be held quarterly from 12 to 2 p.m. at alternating locations in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, as well as on alternating days of the week. Please attend in person when the time and place work for you, and call in to the meeting when you can structure the time but can't travel!
Save the date for our:
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
2017 dates at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City are March 29, May 25, August 24, and October 19.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
- July 31-August 2, Maternal & Infant Assessment for Breastfeeding and Human Lactation.
Page last updated 4/24/17 by RMP.