- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers! You can also contribute to COBA with your Amazon Smile benefits.
- Stay tuned to our COBA Baby Cafe Facebook page to learn about our new Oklahoma City location, check whether any times are affected by weather, and meet our facilitators!
- Congratulations to St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City on receiving the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation! The other five Oklahoma hospitals designated Baby-Friendly are Integris Health Edmond, Comanche County Memorial Hospital, W. W. Hastings Hospital in Tahlequah, INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center and Claremore Indian Hospital. Baby-Friendly USA designates hospitals reliably following the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. Now 13.6% of babies in Oklahoma are now born in a Baby-Friendly designated hospital. St. Anthony brings Oklahoma a big step closer to the national average of 19.25% of babies born in Baby-Friendly hospitals, an important public health metric followed by the Centers for Disease Control.
- The United States Department of Labor recently benefited an Oklahoma family by enforcing the breastfeeding accommodation provision in the Affordable Care Act's amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act. The mother's former employer has had to provide back pay due to intimidation and retaliation, and has agreed to follow the law going forward. To prevent this kind of difficulty, look to COBA for employee guidance on communicating with employers about breastfeeding, and employer guidance on practical ways to comply with breastfeeding laws.
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- COBA's 2017 General Meetings will be held quarterly from 12 to 2 p.m. at alternating locations in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, as well as on alternating days of the week. Please attend in person when the time and place work for you, and call in to the meeting when you can structure the time but can't travel!
The January General Meeting will take place Wednesday, Jan. 25th from 12pm-2pm in Training Room C/D, at Oklahoma City-County Health Department Northeast Regional Health and Wellness Campus, 2600 NE 63rd St. in Oklahoma City.
Other dates and locations:
Spring meeting, Saturday, April 22, Tulsa
Summer meeting, Wednesday, July 26, Tulsa
Fall meeting, Saturday, November 4, Oklahoma City
- February 22-24, Maternal & Infant Assessment for Breastfeeding and Human Lactation sponsored by Agape Doula Service.
- February 24, 2017, 5th Annual Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit, Samis Education Center, OUHSC, Oklahoma City. The summit agenda features Melissa Bartick, Cynthia Good Mojab, and COBA's own Becky Mannel and Montika Collins. Register by February 10 to be sure to get a lunch.
- March 10, 2017, Breastfeeding 2017, Newton, Kansas, sponsored by La Leche League of Kansas and Oklahoma, featuring Alison Stuebe, MD, MSc, FACOG, FABM.
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
2017 dates at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City are March 29, May 25, August 24, and October 19.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
Page last updated 1/15/2017 by RMP.