-You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers! You can also contribute to COBA with your Amazon Smile benefits.
-Check out our convenient new Oklahoma City location for COBA Baby Café! Expectant and breastfeeding families and their support people are welcome the first and third Fridays of every month from 12 noon to 2 p.m. at:
Oklahoma City-County Health Department
2600 NE 63rd St., Oklahoma City, OK 73111
Room 223 (In the back, through the clinic entrance)
- Congratulations to St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City on receiving the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation! The other five Oklahoma hospitals designated Baby-Friendly are Integris Health Edmond, Comanche County Memorial Hospital, W. W. Hastings Hospital in Tahlequah, INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center and Claremore Indian Hospital. Baby-Friendly USA designates hospitals reliably following the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. Now 13.6% of babies in Oklahoma are now born in a Baby-Friendly designated hospital. St. Anthony brings Oklahoma a big step closer to the national average of 19.25% of babies born in Baby-Friendly hospitals, an important public health metric followed by the Centers for Disease Control.
- The United States Department of Labor recently benefited an Oklahoma family by enforcing the breastfeeding accommodation provision in the Affordable Care Act's amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act. The mother's former employer has had to provide back pay due to intimidation and retaliation, and has agreed to follow the law going forward. To prevent this kind of difficulty, look to COBA for employee guidance on communicating with employers about breastfeeding, and employer guidance on practical ways to comply with breastfeeding laws.
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- It was voted at the October 29, 2016 COBA General Meeting to hold 2017 General Meetings at alternating locations (Tulsa and Oklahoma City) and days of the week (Saturday versus weekday). Stay tuned for details as they are determined according to officer and location availability.
Formats approved for each quarter:
-January 23-27, 2017 Lactation Counselor Training Course sponsored by Agape Doula Service.
- February 24, 2017, 5th Annual Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit, Samis Education Center, OUHSC, OKC
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
2017 dates at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City are March 29, May 25, August 24, and October 19.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
Page last updated 11/19/16 by RMP.