- CDC’s new website on Infant and Toddler Nutrition brings together existing information and practical strategies for feeding infants and toddlers from birth to 24 months. It offers credible, clear, consistent, and accessible nutrition information and resources for parents, caregivers, and professionals. Breastfeeding recommendations, benefits, and a variety of helpful guides are presented in an easy-to- read format. Topics include breast & formula feeding, starting solids, how much & how often to feed, foods & drinks to offer & limit, introducing tastes & textures, dealing with picky eaters, and food preparation & safety. Notable to breastfeeding advocates is a clear description of paced bottle feeding and a clear and thorough treatment of how to prevent Cronobacter infection.
- Speakers at the March 2018 Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit included two video stars! Breastfeeding professionals and advocates from across the state heard from Dr. Sahira Long of the disparity-busting "It's Only Natural" video and information campaign, and Dr. Christina Smillie of the popular "Baby-Led Breastfeeding" video.
- Kudos to Stillwater-based OnCue for providing lactation rooms to employees at several of its locations! COBA Worksite/Public committee co-Chair Nancy Bacon was quoted in the Journal Record about the recognition available to Oklahoma employers for meeting lactation program standards proven to improve employee breastfeeding rates, to raise employee retention and lower health care costs!
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- COBA's April 28 meeting was canceled due to multiple challenges experienced by COBA officers. Former Board members have been recruited, and new Board members elected in January are being oriented, to regroup and prepare for COBA's activities for the rest of the year. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with input about how COBA can fulfill its Mission, promote its Vision, and update and revise its Strategic Plan to build its effectiveness and its strength as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
Please save the dates for COBA's summer and fall 2018 meetings:
- Friday, June 8, 2018, Contemporary Breastfeeding Challenges: Giving Mother Nature a Helping Hand, a United States Lactation Consultant Association Regional Workshop co-sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
- Monday, July 2, at 12 noon, COBA member Petra Colindres will be presenting a webinar via the United States Lactation Consultant Association titled, “Marketing 101: What You Need to Know for Breastfeeding Promotion”, She will cover defining your organization and its purpose, the 4 Ps/Cs of marketing, and knowing the types of advertising and how to evaluate which will work best for your organization. Register now!
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
Check the OBRC Upcoming Events page about registering.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
Save the date:
Write to email@example.com to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 6/2/18 by RMP.