- Kudos to Stillwater-based OnCue for providing lactation rooms to employees at several of its locations! COBA Worksite/Public committee co-Chair Nancy Bacon was quoted in the Journal Record about the recognition available to Oklahoma employers for meeting lactation program standards proven to improve employee breastfeeding rates, to raise employee retention and lower health care costs!
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
- Stay tuned to our COBA Baby Cafe Facebook page to learn about our new Oklahoma City location, check whether any times are affected by weather, and meet our facilitators!
- Congratulations to Chickasaw Nation Medical Center in Ada on receiving the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation in 2017! The other six Oklahoma hospitals designated Baby-Friendly are St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City, Integris Health Edmond, Comanche County Memorial Hospital in Lawton, W. W. Hastings Hospital in Tahlequah, INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, and Claremore Indian Hospital. Baby-Friendly USA designates hospitals reliably following the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. Over 15% of babies in Oklahoma are now born in a Baby-Friendly designated hospital. Chickasaw Nation Medical Center brings Oklahoma a big step closer to the national average of 21.71% of babies born in Baby-Friendly hospitals, an important public health metric followed by the Centers for Disease Control.
- The United States Department of Labor recently benefited an Oklahoma family by enforcing the breastfeeding accommodation provision in the Affordable Care Act's amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act. The mother's former employer has had to provide back pay due to intimidation and retaliation, and has agreed to follow the law going forward. To prevent this kind of difficulty, look to COBA for employee guidance on communicating with employers about breastfeeding, and employer guidance on practical ways to comply with breastfeeding laws.
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- COBA 2018 Quarterly General Meetings have been scheduled:
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
Check the OBRC Upcoming Events page about registering.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
- June 11-15, 2018, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm each day, Oklahoma City metro location TBD, Certified Lactation Counselor Training, sponsored by Agape Doula Service. Early registration now open.
Save the date:
- Friday, March 2, 2018, Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Sixth Annual Summit, Oklahoma City. Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center. Speakers include Sahira Long, MD, IBCLC and Christina Smillie, MD, IBCLC
- Friday, March 9, 2018, Breastfeeding 2018, Newton, Kansas. Sponsored by La Leche League of Kansas/Oklahoma. Speaker: Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA
Write to email@example.com to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 12/11/17 by RMP.