- CDC’s new website on Infant and Toddler Nutrition brings together existing information and practical strategies for feeding infants and toddlers from birth to 24 months. It offers credible, clear, consistent, and accessible nutrition information and resources for parents, caregivers, and professionals. Breastfeeding recommendations, benefits, and a variety of helpful guides are presented in an easy-to- read format. Topics include breast & formula feeding, starting solids, how much & how often to feed, foods & drinks to offer & limit, introducing tastes & textures, dealing with picky eaters, and food preparation & safety. Notable to breastfeeding advocates is a clear description of paced bottle feeding and a clear and thorough treatment of how to prevent Cronobacter infection.
- Speakers at the March 2018 Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit included two video stars! Breastfeeding professionals and advocates from across the state heard from Dr. Sahira Long of the disparity-busting "It's Only Natural" video and information campaign, and Dr. Christina Smillie of the popular "Baby-Led Breastfeeding" video.
- Kudos to Stillwater-based OnCue for providing lactation rooms to employees at several of its locations! COBA Worksite/Public committee co-Chair Nancy Bacon was quoted in the Journal Record about the recognition available to Oklahoma employers for meeting lactation program standards proven to improve employee breastfeeding rates, to raise employee retention and lower health care costs!
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- PLEASE NOTE: COBA's next quarterly General Meeting scheduled for Saturday, April 28 at Tulsa's Central Library. has been POSTPONED due to logistical difficulties. Please watch this space for details of a rescheduled meeting.
- Save the dates for COBA's summer and fall 2018 meetings:
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
Check the OBRC Upcoming Events page about registering.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
- Friday, June 8, 2018, Contemporary Breastfeeding Challenges: Giving Mother Nature a Helping Hand, a United States Lactation Consultant Association Regional Workshop co-sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
- June 11-15, 2018, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm each day, Oklahoma City metro location TBD, Certified Lactation Counselor Training, sponsored by Agape Doula Service. Register now!.
Save the date:
Write to email@example.com to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 5/22/18 by RMP.