- Speakers at the March 2018 Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit included two video stars! Breastfeeding professionals and advocates from across the state heard from Dr. Sahira Long of the disparity-busting "It's Only Natural" video and information campaign, and Dr. Christina Smillie of the popular "Baby-Led Breastfeeding" video.
- Kudos to Stillwater-based OnCue for providing lactation rooms to employees at several of its locations! COBA Worksite/Public committee co-Chair Nancy Bacon was quoted in the Journal Record about the recognition available to Oklahoma employers for meeting lactation program standards proven to improve employee breastfeeding rates, to raise employee retention and lower health care costs!
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
- Stay tuned to our COBA Baby Cafe Facebook page to learn about our new Oklahoma City location, check whether any times are affected by weather, and meet our facilitators!
- Congratulations to Chickasaw Nation Medical Center in Ada on receiving the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation in 2017! The other six Oklahoma hospitals designated Baby-Friendly are St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City, Integris Health Edmond, Comanche County Memorial Hospital in Lawton, W. W. Hastings Hospital in Tahlequah, INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, and Claremore Indian Hospital. Baby-Friendly USA designates hospitals reliably following the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. Over 15% of babies in Oklahoma are now born in a Baby-Friendly designated hospital. Chickasaw Nation Medical Center brings Oklahoma a big step closer to the national average of 21.71% of babies born in Baby-Friendly hospitals, an important public health metric followed by the Centers for Disease Control.
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- COBA's next quarterly General Meeting is Saturday, April 28 at Tulsa's Central Library. The recently renovated library's Pocahontas Greadington Learning & Creativity Center is an inviting space for community groups, the library staff is friendly and helpful, and the first 3 hours of parking (in the structure with an entrance off of 4th Street or 5th Street) is free with validation. Please join us!
When: 12 noon to 2 p.m. (Worksite Committee meeting from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.)
Where: Pocahontas Greadington Learning & Creativity Center (Take the elevator to Lower Level 2)
400 Civic Center
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103
If you would like to participate remotely, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss what app or telecommunications will work best for your technology and what is available at this new location.
- Save the dates for COBA's summer and fall 2018 meetings:
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
Check the OBRC Upcoming Events page about registering.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
- Friday, June 8, 2018, Contemporary Breastfeeding Challenges: Giving Mother Nature a Helping Hand, United States Lactation Consultant Association Regional Workshop co-sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
- June 11-15, 2018, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm each day, Oklahoma City metro location TBD, Certified Lactation Counselor Training, sponsored by Agape Doula Service. Early registration now open.
Save the date:
Write to email@example.com to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 4/18/18 by RMP.