At its recent Strategic Planning session, the Board of Directors of the Coalition of Oklahoma Breastfeeding Advocates unanimously voted to adopt a new set of goals and tactics to align COBA’s focus and priorities with our mission and current capacity.
COBA will focus on building organizational capacity and on networking, education, promotion of public awareness, and advocacy for breastfeeding families across the state of Oklahoma. For more information, please download and review our 2019 Strategic Plan.
For other direct breastfeeding support resources in Oklahoma City and statewide, please see our Breastfeeding Help menu.
- COBA will soon hire its first Executive Director! Stay tuned for more information about this exciting next step for our organization.
- Congratulations to Hillcrest Medical Center, Oklahoma's 8th hospital designated Baby-Friendly, and Tulsa's 1st! The national average of babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital is 25%. With the designation of Hillcrest Medical Center, the percentage of Oklahoma babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital has risen to 20%. Hillcrest is a teaching hospital, which makes this designation significant because their new physicians will be trained in an environment of best practices for maternal/newborn care.
- Harvard Business Review published an excellent summary in April on the why and how of supporting breastfeeding employees.
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
Write to email@example.com to get your educational, professional, or advocacy news or event onto this page!
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- "Making Breastfeeding Easier" & "Breastfeeding Basics and Beyond" Training: Free one-day and two-day classes for health care providers held in Oklahoma City, provided by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center (OBRC) with funding from the Oklahoma State Department of Health. Check the OBRC Training Page to register.
Save The Date
8th Annual Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit
Friday, February 28, 2020
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Samis Education Center, Rainbolt Auditorium
1200 Children’s Ave., Oklahoma City, OK
Cost: $25/per person
Click Here to Register
CNE Credits: 6.5 (pending) (can be converted into CERPs)
Summit page: https://obrc.ouhsc.edu/Events-Training/BBFOK-Summit
Request Invoice: Click Here to Request an Invoice for Registrations
Pay for Registration: Click Here to Pay Online* (pay for yourself or others) *Use Chrome or Firefox
Page last updated 12/16/19 by AHS.