- As the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Hotline celebrates 10 years of helping Oklahomans breastfeed, they are conducting a needs assessment survey to learn how to better meet families' needs. Please fill out the survey before January 31, 2019 if breastfeeding is in your past, present, or future, and spread the word to other Oklahomans!
- Congratulations to Hillcrest Medical Center, Oklahoma's 8th hospital designated Baby-Friendly, and Tulsa's 1st! The national average of babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital is 25%. With the designation of Hillcrest Medical Center, the percentage of Oklahoma babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital has risen to 20%. Hillcrest is a teaching hospital, which makes this designation significant because their new physicians will be trained in an environment of best practices for maternal/newborn care.
- CDC’s new website on Infant and Toddler Nutrition brings together existing information and practical strategies for feeding infants and toddlers from birth to 24 months. It offers credible, clear, consistent, and accessible nutrition information and resources for parents, caregivers, and professionals. Breastfeeding recommendations, benefits, and a variety of helpful guides are presented in an easy-to- read format. Topics include breast & formula feeding, starting solids, how much & how often to feed, foods & drinks to offer & limit, introducing tastes & textures, dealing with picky eaters, and food preparation & safety. Notable to breastfeeding advocates is a clear description of paced bottle feeding and a clear and thorough treatment of how to prevent Cronobacter infection.
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- Friday, January 18, 2019, Oklahoma Breastfeeding Hotline 10-Year Birthday Party, The Children’s Hospital Atrium, Oklahoma City, 10am-2pm. In partnership with the free Grow Healthy and Strong Family Expo.
- Saturday, February 2, 2019, Grand Opening Celebration for the new location of COBA Baby Cafe at Cole Community Center in Oklahoma City from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.. This will also be COBA's first meeting of the year. It will be a casual come and go event, and refreshments will be provided. All who support breastfeeding are welcome!
- "Making Breastfeeding Easier" & "Breastfeeding Basics and Beyond" Trainings: Free one-day and two-day classes for health care providers held in Oklahoma City, provided by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center (OBRC) with funding from the Oklahoma State Department of Health. Check the OBRC Training Page to register. Contact OBRC at OBRC@ouhsc.edu to arrange a class at your location.
- Friday, February 22, 2019, Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit, featuring keynote speakers Cathy Carothers BLA, IBCLC, FILCA and Joan Younger Meek, MD, MS, RD, FAAP, FABM, IBCLC. Samis Education Center, Oklahoma City. Click here for more details and registration links.
Save the date:
- Friday, March 1, 2019, Citizen Potawatomi Nation Community Baby Shower, Shawnee.
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 1/7/19 by AHS.