- Congratulations to Hillcrest Medical Center, Oklahoma's 8th hospital designated Baby-Friendly, and Tulsa's 1st! The national average of babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital is 25%. With the designation of Hillcrest Medical Center, the percentage of Oklahoma babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital has risen to 20%. Hillcrest is a teaching hospital, which makes this designation significant because their new physicians will be trained in an environment of best practices for maternal/newborn care.
- CDC’s new website on Infant and Toddler Nutrition brings together existing information and practical strategies for feeding infants and toddlers from birth to 24 months. It offers credible, clear, consistent, and accessible nutrition information and resources for parents, caregivers, and professionals. Breastfeeding recommendations, benefits, and a variety of helpful guides are presented in an easy-to- read format. Topics include breast & formula feeding, starting solids, how much & how often to feed, foods & drinks to offer & limit, introducing tastes & textures, dealing with picky eaters, and food preparation & safety. Notable to breastfeeding advocates is a clear description of paced bottle feeding and a clear and thorough treatment of how to prevent Cronobacter infection.
- Speakers at the March 2018 Becoming Baby-Friendly in Oklahoma Summit included two video stars! Breastfeeding professionals and advocates from across the state heard from Dr. Sahira Long of the disparity-busting "It's Only Natural" video and information campaign, and Dr. Christina Smillie of the popular "Baby-Led Breastfeeding" video.
- Kudos to Stillwater-based OnCue for providing lactation rooms to employees at several of its locations! COBA Worksite/Public committee co-Chair Nancy Bacon was quoted in the Journal Record about the recognition available to Oklahoma employers for meeting lactation program standards proven to improve employee breastfeeding rates, to raise employee retention and lower health care costs!
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- COBA's Summer Meeting will take the form of a Virtual Town Hall on a series of 3 August dates and times to broaden participation. Log in or call in August 13, 15, or 17 to one or more of these GoToMeeting times to participate!
- August is National Breastfeeding Month! Be sure to check COBA's Facebook page and our COBA Event Calendar below often for events online and around the state! Post your event to our Facebook page, and send information to firstname.lastname@example.org to get it onto this page.
- Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 10 a.m., Edmond's Live, Love, Latch! 2018 at 14901 N. Kelley Ave. #102 Edmond, OK.
- Thursday, August 16, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., Martin Regional Library, Tulsa, free Breastfeeding Basics class offered by With Love Birth Services' WE Baby progam.
- Saturday, August 25, 2018, 10:00 a.m., Mustang's Live, Love, Latch! 2018 at the Mustang Community Center, 1201 N Mustang Rd, Mustang, Oklahoma 73064.
- Saturday, August 25, 2018, 12:30 to 3:00 p.m., Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, Third Annual Lift Every Baby celebration, organized by Innovations PCfit LLC.
- Thursday, August 30, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., Rudisill Regional Library, Tulsa, free Breastfeeding Basics class offered by With Love Birth Services' WE Baby program.
- Making Breastfeeding Easier: Free classes for hospital staff held at the Samis Education Center in Oklahoma City.
Sponsored by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center.
Check the OBRC Upcoming Events page about registering.
Contact Becky Mannel to arrange a class at your location.
Save the date:
Write to email@example.com to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 8/8/18 by RMP.