At its recent Strategic Planning session, the Board of Directors of the Coalition of Oklahoma Breastfeeding Advocates unanimously voted to adopt a new set of goals and tactics to align COBA’s focus and priorities with our mission and current capacity.
COBA will focus on building organizational capacity and on networking, education, promotion of public awareness, and advocacy for breastfeeding families across the state of Oklahoma. To build momentum toward this new focus, COBA will be pausing its direct mother support programming through COBA Baby Café after July 2019.
For other direct breastfeeding support resources in Oklahoma City and statewide, please see our Breastfeeding Help menu.
.- Congratulations to Hillcrest Medical Center, Oklahoma's 8th hospital designated Baby-Friendly, and Tulsa's 1st! The national average of babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital is 25%. With the designation of Hillcrest Medical Center, the percentage of Oklahoma babies born in a Baby-Friendly hospital has risen to 20%. Hillcrest is a teaching hospital, which makes this designation significant because their new physicians will be trained in an environment of best practices for maternal/newborn care.
- Harvard Business Review published an excellent summary in April on the why and how of supporting breastfeeding employees.
- COBA and the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) have put together a Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma that shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents. Spread the word!
- You can now support COBA by signing up with Giving Assistant to donate your cash back from online shopping with a great selection of retailers!
Events for Advocates & Professionals
- Saturday, August 3, 2019, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., COBA Summer General Meeting, Oklahoma City/Tulsa teleconference.
Oklahoma City location: Stephenson Cancer Center
Tulsa location: Tulsa Health Department's North Regional Health & Wellness Center,
Agenda: COBA Strategic Plan, Baby-Friendly Hospitals, networking.
If you have not received an email with an RSVP form, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org for details and to let us know who is coming.
- "Making Breastfeeding Easier" & "Breastfeeding Basics and Beyond" Trainings: Free one-day and two-day classes for health care providers held in Oklahoma City, provided by the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Resource Center (OBRC) with funding from the Oklahoma State Department of Health. Check the OBRC Training Page to register. Contact OBRC at OBRC@ouhsc.edu to arrange a class at your location.
Save the date:
- Thursday, November 21, 2019, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., COBA Fall General Meeting, Oklahoma City/Tulsa teleconference. Agenda: Elections, Continuing Education Event and Networking.
Write to email@example.com to get your educational, professional, or advocacy event onto this page!
Page last updated 7/31/19 by RMP.